IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award 2019 ($20,000 prize)
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Applications are open for the IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award 2019. The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award was created to honor the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014).
With this Award, the IWMF celebrates the courageous work of women photojournalists like Anja. The Award recognizes the importance of visual journalistic work that inspires us to take action and compels us to better understand the world. Created in 2014 with a $1 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Award will be given annually to a woman photojournalist whose work reflects courage and dedication, as Anja’s does. This courageous work manifests in many different forms which may include but is not limited to conflict or frontline reporting.
- Recipients of the Courage in Photojournalism Award will receive a cash prize of $20,000 and have their work showcased at the German Ambassador’s Residence in Washington, DC.
- Open to Full-time journalists;
- Journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation;
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible;
- Applicants must identify as women.
- All nominations and applications must include candidate information, work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the date, place, and situation captured.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years (2017-2019). The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Submissions must include a 1-2 page candidate/nomination statement. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the photographs submitted with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.
For more information, visit IWMF.