WISE Prize for Education 2019 for Outstanding Education Leaders (Fully-funded to Doha, Qatar + US $500,000)
Deadline: February 26, 2019
The World Innovation Summit for Education has opened the submission period for the 2019 WISE Prize for Education. The WISE Prize for Education is the first distinction of its kind to recognize an individual or a team of up to six people for an outstanding, world-class contribution to education. The WISE Prize for Education Laureates are inspiring role models for all those concerned with building the future of education as the foundation for a more secure, prosperous, and sustainable world.
Established in 2011 by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, the WISE Prize for Education raises the status of education by giving it similar prestige enjoyed in other areas for which international recognition exists, such as literature, peace, and economics. The Laureate(s) will receive US $ 500,000 cash prize dedicated to continuing their work in education, and a gold medal.
The World Innovation Summit for Education was established by Qatar Foundation in 2009 under the leadership of its Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. WISE is an international, multi-sectoral platform for creative, evidence-based thinking, debate, and purposeful action in education. Through the biennial summit, collaborative research and a range of on-going programs, WISE is a global reference in new approaches to education.
Besides celebrating outstanding education leaders, the WISE Prize also supports their work in shaping the future of education. Hence, the Laureate(s) will receive tailored support over two years to grow their initiative further and scale their impact.
During the course of 2019, a panel of independent judges will select 12 WISE Prize finalists. Then finalists are required to submit a proposal outlining how they aim to use the WISE Prize funds of US $500,000.
The 2019 WISE Prize Laureate will be announced during the opening plenary of the 2019 WISE Summit, October 28-30, 2019 in Doha Qatar. The Laureate will gain global visibility and opportunities to collaborate through various platforms, including the global Summit and WISE events across the world, WISE communications and publications.
The WISE Prize for Education recognizes an individual or a team for an outstanding contribution to education. The achievements of the nominated individual or team should have had a significant and lasting impact upon education at any level, and should demonstrate an inspiring and visionary approach. The nominee(s) should meet the following criteria:
- Commitment to Education: The nominee(s) has proven a continuous commitment to addressing education challenge(s) locally or internationally
- Positive Systemic Innovation: the nominee(s) is a catalyst for systemic change by creating innovative solutions to local or international education challenge(s).
- Leadership: the vision of the nominee(s) is not only innovative but contextually challenges the status quo. The nominee(s) is the driving force behind the project/organization not simply the director. The nominee has the energy and aspiration to continue growing the impact of his or her work.
- Sustainable Impact: the contribution of the nominee(s) generates positive and sustainable impact in the lives of the targeted beneficiaries. Shortlisted nominee(s) must clearly outline how the WISE Prize for Education will optimize, grow and scale their impact.
The 2019 WISE Prize for Education selection process only accepts nominations. Self-nominations will not be considered.
Potential WISE Prize for Education candidates can be researchers, education practitioners, policy makers, organization leaders and can belong to any education sector such as early childhood education, K-12, higher education, vocational training, differently abled development, informal education, distance based learning, education technology and lifelong learning.
Nominees for the WISE Prize for Education can be from any part of the world, if they meet the criteria indicated on the next page.
- The nominator must be an individual and not an organization, the nominator could be working with the nominee, part of their community, one of the nominee’s end beneficiaries or have no relationship with the nominee.
- The nominator will fill out the nomination form and should know the nominee’s work very well.
- The nominator can fill out the nomination form without informing or asking for information from the nominee. The nominator can also request information from the nominee to fill the form.
- The nominator should provide the needed contact information, in case the WISE team would like to contact the nominator for further details.
Several nominations from different individuals may be submitted for the same individual, although this has no bearing on the judging process.
The same nominators may submit several nominations for different individuals or team.
Nominations are judged according to strict criteria. The individual or team should show commitment to education, demonstrate through their leadership positive systemic change, and have sustainable impact.
- The nominator should create an account and complete the nomination form available online.
- The nomination form should be completed in English. Any other language will not be considered.
- The nomination form should be submitted before the deadline as the system automatically closes by the timeline, and WISE does not accept nominations after the deadline, February 26, 2019.
- To prevent any accidental loss of information while completing the form, we encourage nominators to save at every step.
- The nominator should fill out all the required questions, The nomination cannot be submitted until all the required questions are completed.
- Each nomination requires two supporters; the two references should be individuals who have worked closely with the nominee from collaborating organizations, previous colleagues, etc. The WISE team will contact the supporters, the supporters SHOULD NOT send letters of the recommendation to WISE unless they are requested.
- WISE will contact the two supporters, kindly make sure that their details are up to date and correct.
- A confirmation email along with a PDF version of the nomination form will be sent to the nominator once the system has received the nomination.
For more information, visit WISE Prize for Education.