Apply to attend OpenCon 2018 in Toronto, Canada (Travel Scholarships Available)
Deadline: July 13, 2018
Applications to attend OpenCon 2018 are now open. OpenCon is the conference and community for students and early career professionals interested in advancing Open Access, Open Education and Open Data. OpenCon 2018 will be held on November 2-4 in Toronto, Canada. Each year, OpenCon brings together a diverse, representative, and engaged group of participants, with travel scholarships available to most participants. For this reason, attendance at OpenCon 2018 is by application only.
OpenCon is more than a conference. It’s a platform for the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data, develop critical skills, and catalyze action toward a more open system for sharing the world’s information—from scholarly and scientific research, to educational materials, to digital research data..
The benefits of applying for OpenCon 2018 extend far beyond attending the Toronto meeting. It’s an opportunity to find collaborators, get connected with scholarships to attend related conferences, and be recognized by the community for the work you do to promote Open Access, Open Education and Open Data.
OpenCon is a unique meeting in that the organizers will provide full or partial travel scholarships to a large number of the participants at the meeting. In past meetings, the majority of participants received full or partial scholarships.
What do scholarships cover?
Scholarship funding is available for the following expenses:
- Roundtrip ticket (air, train or bus) to Toronto, Canada from the departure city indicated in your application
- Accommodation during the nights of the conference (shared room with participant of the same sex)
- Participation fee that covers registration and most meals
- Visa application fee (if needed)
If you are invited and are awarded a scholarship, your invitation will specify which of the above expenses are included. Please note that scholarships will not cover travel to and from the airport, meals that are not provided at the conference, insurance, or other incidental expenses. Note that due to the number of scholarships we will be granting, they cannot process any reimbursements from receipts. Therefore scholarship funding will only apply for travel and accommodation booked through OpenCon’s travel agent.
- OpenCon’s target audience is students of all levels, early career researchers, and young professionals in fields related to scholarly and scientific research (e.g. librarians, publishers, advocates, etc).
- Students, early career researchers, and young professionals from all countries are welcome to attend OpenCon.
- Early career is a flexible term and generally means someone within about 10 years of the beginning of their professional career (i.e. after graduating with their terminal degree).
- Applicants must be eighteen years of age or older to attend OpenCon.
Complete the form below to apply for OpenCon 2018.
First, enter your email address to unlock the rest of the questions. Once you begin, you can save your progress at any time by clicking “Save for Later” at the bottom of the form. You will then be sent an email with a secure link that you may use to resume your application later.
The deadline to apply for OpenCon 2018 is July 13 at 11:59 U.S. Pacific Time. Drafts not submitted by that date will be considered final. All questions are required unless otherwise noted.
For more information, visit OpenCon 2018.