Mobility First! ASEF Cultural Mobility Initiative 2018: Travel Grant for Artists & Cultural Professionals
Deadline: May 30, 2018
Applications are open for the 2018 Mobility First! ASEF Cultural Mobility Initiative. Through this initiative, ASEF supports the mobility of artists and cultural professionals for cross-border activities that include participation in events, networking, research and collaborative meetings. Mobility support is provided to selected individuals for travel from Asia to Europe, Europe to Asia & within Asia.
Mobility First! was launched in 2017 to commemorate ASEF’s 20th anniversary and builds on ASEF’s support to mobility over the last 20 years. To commemorate its 20th anniversary in 2017, the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) builds upon its support to cultural mobility over the past 2 decades by launching Mobility First! – ASEF Cultural Mobility Initiative, a new fund that supports the movement of Asian and European artists and cultural professionals in Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) partner countries.
- Currently, the selection criteria for Mobility First! prioritises cultural mobility from Asia to Europe; from Europe to Asia; and, within Asia. All travel must be international.
- Successful applicants will be given up to a maximum of Singapore Dollars (SGD) 2,000 for travel from Asia to Europe or Europe to Asia.
- Successful applicants will be given up to a maximum of Singapore Dollars (SGD) 1,000 for travel within Asia.
- Additional funding is available for people with disabilities and special needs.
- Nationality: The applicant must be a national of an Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) member country. List of the 51 member countries can be found here.
- Destination country: The applicant’s destination country must be an Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) member country. Departure country need not be an ASEM country.
- Mobility route: Asia-to-Europe, Europe-to-Asia, intra-Asia; Europe-to-Europe routes are ineligible
- Occupation: Artist or Cultural Professional
- Travel dates: as per published dates for the round
Individuals & organisations actively involved in the field of arts & culture who are eligible as per following guidelines:
- Artists & cultural professionals from any artistic genre (such as visual arts, performing arts, film, heritage etc.) may apply. Applications focusing on contemporary artistic and cultural disciplines are encouraged.
- Artists are defined as those directly involved in the production of artworks in any genre of the arts.
- Cultural professionals are defined as others working in the field of arts & culture such as curators, arts writers (including critics), arts managers, researchers etc.
- Applicants should be citizens of member countries of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM)3 and seek support for travel within the ASEM region.
- Applicants may seek travel support to participate in any of the 7 types of eligible activities listed below in the section on What types of activities are supported?
- Cultural organisations may apply to become ASEF’s partners; selected organisations will co-select individuals who will receive support to attend specific events organised by the partner (e.g. arts festivals, conferences).
- Selected partner organisations are expected organise the event as well as provide selected persons with local contacts and context. For example, an arts organisation organising a photography festival may wish to apply to Mobility First! and together with ASEF, will co-select 4 photographers who will be given ASEF’s support to be present at the festival.
- Cultural organisations that operate in any artistic or cultural genre may apply. Non-profit arts organisations will be prioritised.
- Cultural organisations should be based in any of the ASEM member countries and operating in the ASEM region (nationally or bi-regionally)
- Organisations should be applying for travel support for individuals to participate in any of the 7 types of eligible activities listed below in the section on What types of activities are supported?
Only applications that meet the Eligibility requirements will be evaluated
- Priority will be given to applications focusing on contemporary artistic & cultural disciplines
- Early career artists & cultural professionals are encouraged to apply; applications showing relevance to the applicant’s professional development will be prioritised
- Small & medium, independent, non-profit organisations are encouraged to apply
- First time visits to destination countries are encouraged • Priority will be given to applications that show potential for: o Long-term impact in the arts & cultural sector o Benefiting other artists & cultural professionals both in the destination country & back in the applicant’s home country (multiplier effect)
- Mobility First! is an equal opportunities programme. Applications from artists & cultural professionals of any ASEM nationality, ethnicity, caste, creed, gender or disability are welcome
Types of Activities Supported
Through this initiative, ASEF supports the mobility of artists and cultural professionals for participation in the following 7 types of activities:
- Workshops or trainings
- Conferences or forums
- Festivals, biennales, or international exhibitions
- Artists’ or writers’ residencies
- Partner meeting/s to set up or maintain an existing partnership
- Practice-led research
- “Go and see” / short-term exploration / networking
For more information, visit Mobility First!