Solution Search ‘Climate Change Needs Behavior Change’ Competition 2018 (Win $25,000 & a trip to Washington, DC)
Deadline: August 7, 2018
Applications are invited for the Solution Search ‘Climate Change Needs Behavior Change’ Competition 2018. Solution Search Climate Change Needs Behavior Change is a worldwide contest to find and spotlight solutions that use behavior change to fight climate change. They are looking for solutions that apply behavior change insights to inspire and enable people to change the way they consume – the way they cook, eat, dispose of waste, purchase goods, travel, and more. What could these solutions look like? Campaigns and efforts that:
- Increase plant-rich diets
- Reduce end-user food waste
- Increase adoption of clean cookstoves
- Increase demand for products such as locally-grown staple trees, crops grown through regenerative or conservation agriculture, kelp or certified sustainable wood
- Reduce consumption of energy, water or relevant products, such as paper or cotton
- And otherwise reduce greenhouse gas emitting behaviors amongst individuals, households and communities
- Finalists will be invited to attend a capacity-building workshop and awards ceremony with some of the biggest names in conservation, development and behavioral science;
- A $5,000 prize will be awarded to the best entry received by June 1, 2018;
- Two prizes of $25,000 will be awarded to the Judges’ Choice (selected by the panel) and People’s Choice (recipient of most votes)
- All entrants will have the opportunity to partner with contest partners, judges and Rare’s Center for Behavior and the Environment to expand your solution and the principles on which it relies.
- Open to all organizations who have a proven solution in working with people to adopt climate-friendly behaviors. While innovation by individuals are celebrated, they are not eligible.
All entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Context Analysis: Clear description of the challenges and of the context in which it operates and the challenges it faces.
- Solution: Solution is fully developed, addresses contest question and implemented at some scale.
- Actions: Clear, concrete steps in implementation. Engaged key partners and stakeholders along the way. Entrant understands how actions could connect to external initiatives as well.
- Results: Strong results associated with conservation, climate change and behavior change – and any additional co-benefits, such as economic, food security/nutrition and water.
- Sustainability: Sustainable solution that can continue into the future.
- Return on investment: Positive return (financial, social, or other) associated with investment in the solution. Results are reasonable in comparison to the investment.
- Replicability: Extent to which the solution could be replicated by other communities
For more information, visit Solution Search ‘Climate Change Needs Behavior Change’ Competition.