Youth4Regions Media Competition 2018 for European Students (Fully-funded to Brussels)
Deadline: June 29, 2018
Applications are open for this 2018 Youth4Regions Media Programme. The Youth4Regions Media Programme is an annual event dedicated to preparing the next generation of journalists specialized in Regional Policy. It takes place within the European Week of Regions and Cities.
The European Commission’s Directorate General for Regional and Urban Policy is inviting students in journalism from all Member States to communicate on real life projects co-funded by the European Regional Development and Cohesion Funds. The lucky winners will be offered a chance to come to Brussels as a part of the media pool communicating on one of the major events of the year: the European Week of Regions and Cities 2018.
The specific objectives include:
- Providing the framework and conditions for future journalists to specialize in Regional Policy
- Fostering young journalistic productions to promote knowledge of EU-funded projects (ERDF and CF)
- Promoting innovative means of covering the European Week of Regions and Cities
- Enhancing the links between European institutions and young Europeans
The Commission is covering accommodation and travelling.
If you are studying journalism send them your best words or images on a project co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund or the Cohesion Fund. You will have the chance to join other 27 students, one from each EU Member State, in Brussels on 7 – 11 October.
What they offer the winners:
- Practical work experience as a journalist covering Europe’s largest regional development event
- Training in journalism, communication and Regional Policy
- Mentorship from a professional journalist
- The chance to meet other journalism students from around Europe
- The opportunity to get published on our website and in a European-wide magazine
- The call for applications is open to any person that fulfils all of the following conditions:
- Is a citizen of an EU Member State
- Is between 18 and 30 years old
- Is registered as studying journalism in the European Union
- Only individual applications are accepted. The applicants will be asked to prove that they fulfil the above conditions if selected to participate in the Youth4Regions Media Programme.
- Contributions are accepted in all of the 24 EU official languages; However, in case of video submission, a written script in English should also be provided.
- Please note that all communication with the Youth4Regions secretariat will be in English.
In total 28 places are available, one for each EU Member State. In the case where not sufficient applications of good quality are received from a Member State, the European Commission reserves the right to make that position available for another country.
The jury will assess eligible applications on both substance and style based on the following selection criteria:
- Degree of originality (a new story or an unusual angle)
- Extent to which they are compelling (catch the interest of the reader)
- Extent to which they demonstrate a rigorous approach in terms of research and field work
- Respect for the ethical principles of journalism
Apply with your original article or video report on an EU-funded project until 29 June 2018. Before applying please make sure you read the Conditions for Participation available on the same page.
In order to apply, potential participants must send a short article (400-1000 words) or a short video (2 – 3 minutes) depicting a project co-financed by the ERDF and CF.
For more information, visit Youth4Regions Media Competition.