SBI Youth for India Fellowship 2018 (fully-funded)
Deadline: May 10, 2018
Applications for the 2018-19 batch of SBI Youth for India fellowship are now open. Recognized as the flagship program of SBI Foundation, it is a 13-month long fellowship that enables nation’s youth to work on rural development projects in partnership with experienced NGOs. The fellowship provides a framework for India’s best minds to join hands with rural communities, emphathise with their struggles and connect with their aspirations.
At the end of the fellowship, fellows develop a more holistic approach towards growth and development. The SBI Youth for India fellows work on diverse projects in 12 broad thematic program areas, which cover the entire gamut of rural development.
The SBI Youth for India Program has been uniquely designed to assist you to transition into a rural environment, assess the ground realities and identify a project which combines your interests, the strengths of the partner NGO and the needs of the community. This lets you chart your activity plan such that it brings about maximum impact.
SBI Youth for India is a fellowship programme initiated, funded and managed by the State Bank of India in partnership with reputed NGOs. It seeks to solve rural India’s most pressing problems by:
- Providing educated Indian youth with an opportunity to touch lives and create positive change at the grass root level in rural India.
- Providing NGOs working on development projects in rural India with educated manpower whose skill sets can be used to catalyze rural development.
- Promoting a forum for the Programme alumni to share ideas and contribute to rural development throughout their professional life.
The programme has two cohorts: First cohort will commence on August 2018 and the second cohort on October 2018.
The candidates will be given access to documents related to NGO program areas and description. You will research, read and familiarize yourself with these to be able to decide on your preferred programme area and partner NGO. As the fellowship is divided into two cohorts, August and October, your cohort will be decided during this phase.
The fellowship is a 13-month long commitment. It commences with an orientation where SBI Youth for India team along with partner NGO officials and development experts will familiarize and introduce the fellows to the concepts of rural development. This is the time when the fellows will be allocated their NGOs, project locations and mentors.
After completion of the Program:
- You can continue in the rural development sector with NGOs or explore social entrepreneurship opportunities.
- You can pursue further studies or other fellowships.
- You can return to the mainstream and apply your learning to develop products and services more suited to Rural India.
- More than 60% OF OUR ALUMNI have continued to work in the development sector
- The programme is about solving challenging rural problems and will train you to think innovatively, act proactively, exhibit leadership and acquire management skills.
- You will gain hands-on experience of rural markets, its linkages and an insight into the mind of the rural consumer and what comprises the ‘bottom of the pyramid’.
- This combination of knowledge and skills will be highly valued by many organisations in India, and will be of relevance in any career that you choose to pursue thereafter.
- A monthly allowance of 15000 INR for the duration of the programme to meet your living expenses.
- A monthly allowance of 1000 INR for the duration of the programme to meet your transport expenses.
- A readjustment allowance of 30000 INR upon successful completion of the Fellowship.
- The cost of the return 3AC fare from your residence to the project site location as well as expenses incurred on travelling for training programmes.
- You will be covered by a med claim policy.
- You will be assisted by the local NGO staff to find suitable accommodation with safety in mind.
- The partner NGO will also arrange for necessary medical attention when needed.
They are looking for You! That is, if you are:
- A highly motivated graduate, either a young professional or fresh out of college
- Aged between 21 and 32 as on the date of commencement of programme
- An Indian citizen
- A team player with proactive approach and strong leadership skills
- People-oriented as you will be interacting with rural communities on a constant basis
- Willing to commit to a 13 month long rural fellowship programme and adapt to life in challenging rural conditions
The candidates shortlisted in the first stage will be notified on an on-going basis during the application period. In the next stage, a series of screenings will be conducted and the last phase will include Final Interviews conducted in major cities. They will constantly be in touch with the candidates shortlisted in the final stage on an online forum to know them better as well as clarify their doubts regarding the fellowship.
- Interested candidates have to register and fill the form.
- Shortlisted candidates are notified on an ongoing basis during the application period.
- Short-listed candidates are called for interview rounds held across major cities in India.
For more information, visit SBI Youth for India Fellowship.