Call for Applications: Future Earth Governing Council 2018
Deadline: November 15, 2018
Future Earth is seeking international organizations to become part of its Governing Council. They are looking to include organizations that share our vision and focus on either research, policy, or practice. This is an opportunity for your organization to influence and support globally transformative, action-driven research for sustainability and to guide Future Earth as an eminent global platform for research, innovation, and collaboration to support transformations towards sustainability.
As the decision-making body for Future Earth, the main responsibilities of the Governing Council include setting the strategic direction, high-level architecture and core activities for Future Earth. Governing Council members will be identified by the end of fall 2018 and are expected to be present at the Governing Council meeting in early spring 2019.
About the Council
The Governing Council (GC) is the decision-making body for Future Earth, setting its strategic direction, guiding strategic partnerships and approving budgets and key appointments. The GC supports and promotes Future Earth as an eminent global platform for research, innovation, and collaboration for sustainability and helps set the strategic direction, high-level architecture and core activities for Future Earth initiatives in ground-breaking and innovative practices.
The primary commitments of Governing Council (GC) members are:
- To provide independent, strategic advice to Future Earth based on your experience as a leader in your organization;
- To meet twice a year, with at least one of these meetings to be attended in person;
- To support their participation in GC activities through their organization’s resources. This means that all travel/time costs, and support staff are to be provided by the GC member (when primary organizational representative is unable to participate at in-person meetings, a replacement who is also in a senior or leadership position must be identified); and
- To be ambassadors for Future Earth within their organization’s events and networks.
The appointment of international organizations is for a three-year term, renewable once. Two Governing Council members serve as co-chairs, in their individual capacities. They are selected internally by the Governing Council voting members and rotate every two years, out of phase to ensure continuity. A co-chair´s terms may be extended if unanimously agreed to by all GC voting members.
International organizations seeking to be a member of the GC will be selected with the following criteria:
- A central focus on the transition to global sustainability
- An international scope of work and/or representation
- A broad multidisciplinary or multi-sectoral scope
Future Earth is particularly seeking to achieve balance in the GC membership in terms of geography and sectors of activity of its international organizations, as well as gender, geography and expertise and/or disciplinary background of its representatives.
International organizations interested in joining the Future Earth Governing Council are invited to complete the application form here no later than November 15, 2018.
Prior to submitting an application, please read the background information here.
For more information, visit Future Earth Call.