Apply for the Tata Social Enterprise Challenge 2017-18
Deadline: September 30, 2017
The sixth edition of the Tata Social Enterprise Challenge is now open for applications. This is a joint initiative of the Tata Group with the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM-C) started in 2012. The Challenge endeavours to find India’s most promising early stage social enterprises, and create an ecosystem for social entrepreneurship – encouraging sustainable, scalable and measurable social Impact.
The Tata Social Enterprise Challenge is being supported by some of the biggest Venture Capitalists in the Social Entrepreneurship space.
The B-Plan Contest has three stages:
- Impact Proposal Round – In this round, teams will need to submit an ‘Impact Proposal’ through our website. Impact proposal is a detailed business plan format that we have developed to capture the needs and the impact created by any social venture.
- Semi-Finals – On clearing the Impact Proposal Round, a maximum of twenty teams will be invited to pitch to a panel of esteemed judges consisting of Social VCs, Social Entrepreneurs and faculty from IIM Calcutta.
- The Grand Finale – A maximum of ten teams will be selected for the Grand Finale and will pitch to a panel of esteemed judges, consisting of TATA Business Leaders, CEOs/Founders of Social VCs, Social Entrepreneurs and faculty from IIM Calcutta.
The finalists of the Tata Social Enterprise Challenge would be eligible for Incubation at IIM Calcutta Innovation Park. The IIM Calcutta Innovation Park (IIMCIP) is a Section 8 company established under the aegis of IIM Calcutta to promote Innovation and Entrepreneurship. The mission of IIMCIP is aligned to the mission of the institute to “develop innovative and ethical future leaders capable of managing change and transformation in a globally competitive environment and to advance the theory and practice of management”.
IIMCIP provides both physical and virtual incubation. The incubation programme offers the following facilities / benefits to the incubatees.
- Dedicated Mentorship: Mentor pool comprising of IIMC Alumni, Faculty,
Entrepreneurs, and investors with expertise on different domains
- Funding Connect: Connect incubates to various funding sources including funding schemes floated by IIMCIP (in association with investors), funding partners, Government seed / venture fund, Collateral free Bank loan (if eligible). IIMCIP aims at organizing seed funding to all incubatees and ensuring successful exit in 18-24 months timeframe.
- Plug and Play workspace: With computer, internet, printing and conferencing facility
- Support Services: Legal, Secretarial, IT Infrastructure support, HR & Payroll, Travel and Logistics services provided by competent service providers who provide the services at preferential rates.
- IIMC student support: Engage IIMC students with the incubatees and help in solving some of the challenges faced by the startups.
- Training program on various aspects of entrepreneurship at IIMC campus
- The Business plan contest (B-Plan Contest) is open to social entrepreneurs who have an early stage venture (not older than three years) or a promising idea with a plan that could create sustainable social impact in India.
- The enterprise is required to demonstrate significant social impact through results or proof of concept.
- In order to be eligible to apply and participate, all teams must meet the following criteria:
- The team can be represented in the competition by a maximum of two members
- There is no restriction on the age or background for applicants
- If the submission is an idea, a proof of concept (E.g. prototype) is required.
- If the submission is a venture, the venture must not have been in existence for more than three years
- The entries received will be recognized by the “name” of the venture/idea
- The applicants may or may not be Indian Nationals, however, the social venture should be aimed at creating social impact in India.
- Enterprises that were selected as Semi-finalists in previous year’s Tata Social Enterprise challenge will not be eligible for selection
- Business plans for the competition will be invited for all sectors including the following focus areas(mentioned above)
The Judges will review and evaluate the Impact Proposals of all the teams using the following criteria:
- The Business Model
- The Social Impact
Register and complete the online application here.
For more information, visit Tata Social Enterprise Challenge.