Global Science Course Undergraduate Transfer Program 2017 – Tokyo, Japan
Deadline: April 7, 2017
Applications are now open for the 2017 Global Science Course (GSC) Undergraduate Transfer Program in Japan. GSC offers a unique opportunity for international students to pursue studies at the School of Science where Japanese language proficiency is not a requirement.
Under the GSC Undergraduate Transfer Program, the School of Science accepts undergraduate transfer students from abroad into the third year. Traditional core areas of science are integrated with advanced concepts in order for students to build a solid foundation of knowledge and allow them to embrace new challenges at the same time. Lectures in GSC are delivered in English by world-leading professors, creating an academic environment in which students from around the globe can learn alongside current UTokyo students. In addition, renowned professors from abroad deliver special lectures and seminar talks.
Upon fulfilling all graduation requirements, students are awarded with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Tokyo.
- Study in a global environment at one of the most reputable universities in Japan
- Learn about cutting-edge science from world-renowned professors
- Conduct research in state-of-the-art laboratories
Each student of the GSC Undergraduate Transfer Program will be automatically offered the “School of Science Scholarship for Transfer Students”. This scholarship aims to help students pay for their annual tuition fees and support their living expenses. Under this scholarship, the School of Science will provide the following:
- Monthly scholarship of 150,000JPY for up to two consecutive years
- Fully supported housing
- Student tutors
- Japanese language classes
Prospective students who are interested in the Global Science Course (GSC) Undergraduate Transfer Program must fulfill the criteria listed below:
- Prospective students must have successfully completed or will be completing their first two years of studies in a comparable undergraduate program at an accredited higher educational institution before enrolling into GSC. It is also necessary for prospective students to have received secondary and post-secondary education outside of Japan.
- Prospective students must have completed basic Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, and Physics related subjects in their first and second year of undergraduate studies at their university before applying to GSC at the School of Science, The University of Tokyo, as a third year transfer student.
- Prospective students must have gained a minimum of 62 credits corresponding to the UTokyo credit system.
- Prospective students must have a good command of the English language as all lectures are delivered in English. Applicants who meet either of the following criteria are not required to submit any English language proficiency test scores:
- Native speakers of the English language
- Received formal education in English continuously for the last 8 years
- Applicants who do not meet either criteria are required to submit one of the following test results:
- TOEFL iBT (Min. score: 80);
- TOEFL PBT (min. score: 550);
- IELTS Academic (min. score: 6.5);
- Cambridge English: Advanced (min. score: Grace C)
- To apply, visit the online application portal.
- Alongside the GSC online application form, the following documents must be submitted:
- Personal Statement
- TOEFL / IELTS Score Report (if applicable)
- Two Evaluation Forms
- Certifi cate of Student Enrollment
- Copies of course syllabi
- University/College Transcript
- Middle School and High School Transcript(s)
- A copy of your passport (photo page)
Applicants are required to read and to understand the application guidelines carefully and prepare the required documents before completing any part of the application form.
For more information, visit GSC Undergraduate Transfer Program.