Swedish-Turkish Scholarship Programme 2017 for Masters and PhD Studies in Sweden
Deadline: January 10 and January 16, 2017
Applications are open for the Swedish-Turkish Scholarship Programme for masters level and PhD studies. The Swedish-Turkish Scholarship Progamme is part of the Swedish government’s awards scheme funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden and administered by the Swedish Institute (SI). It aims at supporting advanced level studies and research in order to forge closer links between Turkey and the European Union, and to contribute to strengthened democracy and a greater respect for human rights.
The programme offers a unique opportunity for future leaders from Turkey to develop professionally and academically, to experience Swedish society and culture, and to build a long-lasting relationship with Sweden and with each other. The goal is to enable the scholarship holders to play an active role in the democratic development of their society, and forge closer links between Turkey and the European Union.
For Masters Studies:
- The scholarships are intended for full-time master’s level studies in Sweden and cover both living costs and tuition fees. The programme offers a total of 20 – 25 scholarships for master’s level studies for the year 2017/2018.
- The scholarship covers both tuition fees (paid directly to the Swedish university/university college by the Swedish Institute) and living expenses to the amount of SEK 9,000 per month. There are no additional grants for family members.
- Scholarship holders will receive a travel grant in connection with the scholarship upon arrival. The travel grant is a one-time payment of SEK 5,000.
- The Swedish-Turkish Scholarship Programme aims at supporting advanced level studies and research in order to forge closer links between Turkey and the European Union, and to contribute to strengthened democracy and a greater respect for human rights.
- The programme offers 4 – 5 scholarships for the academic year 2017/2018 for part of PhD studies and postdoctoral research in Sweden.
- The scholarship is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15,000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 per month for postdoctoral researchers and senior scientists. The scholarship cannot be prolonged or extended.
All Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance and Personal Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
All SI scholarship holders become members of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a network which offers exclusive opportunities for SI scholarship holders during their stay in Sweden.
Ideal candidates are ambitious young professionals with academic qualifications, demonstrated leadership experience and a clear idea of how a study period in Sweden would benefit their country.
- Applicants must be citizens of Turkey and have at least two years of experience from voluntary work, paid or unpaid internship, position of trust and/or full/part time employment.
- Applicants must qualify academically and display relevant leadership experience.
- Applicants should show an ambition to make a difference by working with issues which contribute to strengthened democracy, increased respect for human rights, gender equality or the rule of law in Turkey.
- The scholarships are intended for PhD students and postdoctoral researchers from Turkey conducting part of their studies/research in Sweden within the field of social sciences with a special focus on any of the following thematic areas: democratic accountability; gender equality, anti-discrimination; human rights, tolerance, minority groups; independent media; pluralistic civil society; rule of law; transparency, anti-corruption.
- Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
- PhD student, applying for a part of his/her ongoing PhD studies to be carried out in Sweden (12 months maximum).
- Postdoctoral researcher, with priority given to holders of a PhD degree from 2012 or later (12 months maximum).
- The scholarship application period opens with a first application step 1 December 2016 – 16 January 2017. Apply through the SI online application portal.
- To be considered for a scholarship, you must first complete your separate application to the master’s programme(s) before the university deadline of 16 January 2017.
- To be considered for a scholarship in the second step, you must pay your university admissions application fee(SEK 900) to University Admissions before 1 February 2017 (deadline for receipt of the fee). There is no application fee for applying for SI scholarships.
- The scholarship application call for the academic year 2017/2018 is open from 1 November 2016 to 10 January 2017.
- Please read the instructions for more information on the application procedure and to access the online application portal.