ADB – Japan Full Scholarship Program 2015-16 for Students from Developing Countries
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) – Japan Scholarship Program (JSP) is funded by the Government of Japan to provide an opportunity for citizens of the Bank’s developing member countries to pursue postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
The ADB-JSP provides full scholarships for one to two years (for masters and doctorate programs). The scholarship is for one year with an extension to the second year of study, as appropriate, which shall be conditional on the scholar maintaining a satisfactory level of performance as determined by the institute.
Programs covered by the ADB-JSP are postgraduate studies in
- natural resource management
- science and technology
- other development-related fields
Only programs at the participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Regions are eligible for ADB-JSP funding.
The ADB-JSP provides
- full tuition fees
- a monthly subsistence and housing allowance
- an allowance for books and instructional materials
- medical insurance
- travel expenses
For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation.
- A national of an ADB borrowing member (applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship).
- Gained admission to an approved MA/PhD course at an academic institution .
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least two (2) years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Staff of the JSP designated institutions are not eligible to apply to their own institution.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
- Qualifications of the candidate.
- Priority to the ranking, or order of merit, proposed by the DIs.
- Applicants with less than two years of work experience will not be selected.
- Preference to women candidates.
- Preference to applicants with lesser financial capacity
- The Program will, in principle, not support applicants who have previously studied abroad.
- The Program will, in principle, not support applicants who are pursuing a second MA or a second PhD degree.
- Candidates who are applying at a DI in their own country may not be selected.
- Diversification of nationality in the overall Program as well as at each DI level will be considered.
- The Program encourages studies in line with core areas of ADB’s Strategy 2020, which address poverty reduction through infrastructure, environment, regional cooperation and integration, finance sector development, and education. Strategy 2020, ADB’s long-term strategy, sets ADB’s strategic course for its operations to the year 2020.
- Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan
- Bangladesh, Bhutan
- Cambodia, China, Cook Islands
- India, Indonesia
- Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Federated States of Mongolia, Myanmar
- Nauru, Nepal
- Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines
- Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka
- Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu
- Vanuatu, Viet Nam
Applicants from graduated member countries, i.e., Hong Kong, China, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, and Taipei,China, as defined under the Classification and Graduation Policy, are no longer eligible for ADB-JSP.
The following institutions participate in the Program:
- Crawford School of Economics and Government (National Centre for Development Studies)
- Australian National University Canberra, Australia
- University of Melbourne Melbourne, Australia
- University of Hong Kong Hong Kong, China
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi New Delhi, India
- Hitotsubashi University, School of International and Public Policy Tokyo, Japan
- International University of Japan Niigata, Japan
- Keio University, International Graduate Programs on Advanced Science and Technology, Graduate School of Economics, Graduate School of System Design and Management Yokohama, Japan
- Kobe University, Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies Kobe, Japan
- Kyushu University, Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences Graduate School of Law Fukuoka, Japan
- Nagoya University, Graduate School of International Development Nagoya, Japan
- National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, (formerly Graduate School of Policy Science, Saitama University) Tokyo, Japan
- Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies Oita, Japan
- Ritsumeikan University, Graduate School of Economics Kyoto, Japan
- Saitama University, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering Saitama, Japan
- Tokyo Institute of Technology Tokyo, Japan
- The University of Tokyo, Department of Civil Engineering, Department of Urban Engineering, Graduate School of Public Policy, Institute of Environmental Studies, School of International Health Tokyo, Japan
- Tsukuba University, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences Ibaraki, Japan
- University of Auckland Auckland, New Zealand
- Lahore University of Management Sciences Lahore, Pakistan
- Asian Institute of Management Manila, Philippines
- International Rice Research Institute, University of the Philippines, Los Banos Laguna, Philippines
- Nanyang Technological University Nanyang Business School Singapore
- National University of Singapore Singapore
- Asian Institute of Technology Bangkok, Thailand
- Thammasat University Bangkok, Thailand
- East-West Center, University of Hawaii Hawaii, USA
You do not need to submit an application for this scholarship. If you have applied for a course at a University, you will be automatically considered for this scholarship.
For more information, visit ADB-Japan Scholarship Program.